Monday, July 23, 2012

Week One: How Calorie Counting Changed My Life or Eat Your Heart Out Inspirational Shows About Weight Loss

Hi All! I bet you're all so excited to know how I did week one, aren't you?! Wellllll... I'm not telling. Just kidding. I'll get straight to it in case you don't really wanna continue reading but just want to know if I'm an epic fail yet or not... I lost *drum roll* 2 1/2 lbs this week.


Yes, it's a loss and yes, I am a little disappointed BUT I discovered an amazing truth. No matter what diet you are on, it's not REALLY okay to eat and drink whatever you want. Shock and awe abounds I tell you! What do you mean you can't eat whatever you want?! What do you mean I cannot down three bottles of wine on a Wednesday and count the calories and still not lose weight?!


There it is folks, the ugly ugly truth is out there. It doesn't matter if you're counting points, counting calories, or doing a headstand while sucking slim fast through a straw... if you are eating the wrong kinds of foods, no amount of counting will save you.


What kills me is I KNEW THIS! And yet, because counting calories (which for all those playing at home is how I'm proceeding with this diet)... because this way of dieting is something I've never tried before, I actually fooled myself into thinking I could eat a muffin worth 800 calories and still lose weight during the week. Yes yes I know what you're thinking... But Holly, you DID lose weight! I did and hooray for me but I want you readers to take away the bigger picture here and be dumbfounded by the knowledge (as I was) that eating healthy calories will make you lose more and you will lose faster.


I think that a tiny part of me wasn't ready to admit this simple simple simple truth because no one WANTS to give up eating those little things that make you happy. I've always been a proponent of the justification clause on every diet... you know, that time when you say, "I have to eat at least ONE thing a week that's bad for me so I don't crave it and go crazy." I guess for some people, that might be okay. If you've got some jiggly bits and you love them, you'll lose your 15 or 20lbs and be happy eating that Snicker's Bar every Tuesday. I don't condemn you at all. I love you, I love your jiggly bits and I'd love to be eating your Snicker's bar... but that's the problem with me. I don't have just 15 or 20lbs to lose. I'm shooting for that 100lbs and in week one I've learned, that those things the trainers say on weight loss shows aren't just to make people cry and they aren't just to make fat people feel bad. I really do have to want this MORE than I want that horribly delicious muffin from the cafe in my work building. I really do have to want this MORE than I want to rob the Cheesecake Factory at gunpoint of all the cheesecake they have on hand. And finally, the biggest truth, I have to want this more than I want to drink... So I have to really start knowing that I DO, in fact, want this more than those things or there will be no point.


Well kids, that concludes Week 1 of the journey. I know that you'll all be dying to know what happens this week. Even if you're not, I'll still be back with Week 2 next Sunday or Mondayish. Big shout outs to everyone who left me a comment in support of this venture. I appreciate and love you all. Come back next week for more of my fatty adventures and revelations!


Love, Holly




7/23/12
324.5 lbs
Size   26/28
Working on going back to the gym.
1/2 Pack a Day Smoker



4 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work, you can do it! <3 FP :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bubbas,
    I love you know matter what, but just so you know, if you continue to lose 2.5 pounds a week, you will have lost 130 lbs in one year. I am proud of you for taking this step.
    Love,
    Bubbas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job lady! Sounds like you're off to a good start :)

    ReplyDelete