Saturday, August 11, 2012

One Woman, One Pound, and One Year Older... Weeks 3-5

Sorry for the backlog of posts my lovely readers... our internet was out for a bit. I've lost 4 more pounds in the 3 week absence and am feeling pretty good about the whole thing. But here's what's been happening...

So in week 3 I got the dreaded period. Male readers who may not be wanting to read this should skip to week 4. I'm not being sexist but I can understand if you hate discussion involving menstration. Any woman would probably say that one thing that can derail any diet is getting the period. You're bloated and hormonal and on about the second day, it takes all your willpower not to shove a bag of Lays in your mouth while eating a giant size Hershey bar. I didn't do either of these things but I did eat some chocolate and some salty snacks. I made it through on some 100 calorie pack stuff but what really bothered me was the water weight gain. I knew that I wouldn't lose as much that week and knowing that I didn't really cheat or stuff my mouth with crap, it kinda pissed me off. But, it's biology and I always hated science class so for my learning experience in week 3, I Googled why I'm so hungry... This answer came from Cha Cha... "Being more hungry, tired, thirsty and even hornier is all in relation to hormones being secreted by the hypothalamus." I still don't know what it means but I'm happy knowing it's hormones and not just some uncontrollable brain dysfunction that forces all women into lunatic eaters. And I don't know about you all, my female friends, but I don't think getting my period has EVER made me hornier. Moving on...

Week 4 was just as crappy as 3 and probably the only thing that saved me from myself was that I got really sick during the week and threw up a couple of times... I was so tired and stressed that I stopped tracking that week, got completely derailed from what I was doing both mentally and physically and just didn't have any focus on the goal. What was amazing though, was that from the previous three weeks and the cut to my calories, I wasn't as hungry and subconciously didn't eat terrible things so probably, I stayed close to or within my limits. Evenso, I only lost 1 pound but I'm still happy because that could've potentially been a complete trainwreck with weight gained instead of lost. No one likes getting sick and throwing up, but I can't say I'm sad about it.

Coming to Week 5... Another thing people will say wrecks a diet... holidays and birthdays. Today I'm turning 34 years old. I know, I know, I look much younger (thanks!) but... all kidding aside, I WAS a little worried about what today would do to me. I'm not a huge fan of cake, but I do like cake vodka. My husband bought donuts for breakfast and I can't really be mad because I love donuts. When I weigh in next week, I know today will probably play a factor in what that number says. However, I can still be proud of myself. Out of 12 donuts, I ate 1 and I counted it in my daily calories. I will probably save the rest of my calories for drinking tonight because I have a babysitter until two am, a designated driver, and since I've had a baby, it takes surprisingly little alchohol to get me drunk.
My point here in all this rambling is, I can still have a fun, drunk birthday with a donut for breakfast and stay on my diet. No, I'm not eating anything nutritious here. BUT - I also have a gym membership which I have underutilized up to this point. Maybe this week would be a good week to start thinking about serious, routine workouts... Starting tomorrow :)

Before I go, I have to thank you all again for the support and a few special thanks...
To my husband, for being so great to me and giving me a nice birthday free of stress..
To my friends Kent and Paula for bringing me healthy snacks all the way from Cleveland!
To my friend Jess... thanks for keeping me laughing, especially on the days when I wanna cry.

Have a fantastic week everyone! And if you're near the Waterfront in Homestead tonight, come have a birthday drink with me at the Blue Dust bar. I'll be the one counting the drink calories on my iPhone.

8/11/2012
320.5 lbs
Size 26/28
One year older :)
1/2 Pack a Day Smoker

3 comments:

  1. Oh I wish I could come celebrate with you. I really miss you Holly:) Just wanted to add not to worry about the little eating mishaps. We all have them. What helped me was to look at food as fuel...what is going to make me tired(chips, greasy foods)...what is going to give me energy...a salad and some chocolate. Everyone is different, you'll find your balance too. I commend you and no matter what size you are, you are and will always be beautiful Holly with the voice of an angel:) Happy Birthday and have fun tonight...guilt-free;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Holly, glad to see you're staying focused!

    ReplyDelete